Tackling Common Questions Concerning DIY Black Mold Testing Kits

Even though there are always professionals in the field of black mold removal available, you may be tempted to try to figure out if what you have in your home is the real deal on your own first. Mold testing kits can be bought in just about any retail or home improvement store and they will likely be the first thing you reach for. Here are a few of the most frequently asked questions concerning DIY black mold testing kits. 

How well do the store-bought tests work?

Mold testing kits that you buy in stores can work fairly well to tell you if there is indeed a mold issue. However, they are easy to fowl up if you do not follow instructions to the letter, and even further, these kits do not usually tell you what kind of mold you are dealing with. They just give you a generic reading to say either yes, you have mold, or no, you do not. If you find that you do test positive for black mold, you will likely be given the option to pay a little more to have the specimen analyzed in a laboratory by sending it to a specific company. 

What will you have to do in order to test the mold in your house?

Black mold testing kits will usually contain a swab of some type or a piece of adhesive paper that you manually rub on visible mold. You will then add a special solution to the sample that is supposed to turn the specimen specific colors if there is mold detected. In some cases, you may receive a petri dish or sealable tube to contain your specimen. 

What should you do if the test is positive?

If you test your home and find that you do have black mold, it is imperative to contact a professional right away. You could send off your mold specimen to have it analyzed, but you could be waiting weeks for results, which is not a healthy situation. Besides, a professional black mold removal specialist can help you determine the type of mold you have and what route will have to be taken to save your house. 

As a homeowner, there are a few things that can come up that can really make you question the safety of the house where you live with your family and one of those things is easily black mold. Mold growing in your home can cause everything from respiratory illnesses to irreversible damages to your immune system and other systems of your body, and black mold is especially recognized as being one of the more dangerous forms. If you even suspect that you have a mold problem, it is always best to contact a professional right away for proper testing. 


Share